10 week term
Possums love to hang, swing, climb, run, gallop, hop and somersault, in fact they love all movement! They are also becoming far more social and enjoy playing with other children. At GymbaROO we encourage greater team work and provide Sensory Perceptual Motor Stimulation circuits that promote sensory integration and laterality. It is very important for those children of this age who need further consolidation of these stages, while at the same time increasing more cross pattern activities, where the right side of the body is balanced by the use of the opposite arm or leg in throwing, walking, running etc., in order to further develop the higher areas of the brain.
Many of the GymbaROO sessions for this age group operate without the assistance of the parents (in those states where this is permissible). Children learn to follow the instructions from the teacher and the CD’s for both the dances and the exercises. They also learn to work in groups, to line up and follow the leader and to follow three or four instructions. All these skills are essential for happy school experiences in following years.
At GymbaROO, Possums are given the opportunity to perfect their abilities in the area of:
- Cross pattern action in the upright position, with hopping for balance, skipping along and throwing and catching.
- Cross pattern crocodiles to encourage automaticity of cross pattern movement and body awareness.
- Auditory work including counting and activities that require attention and concentration.
- Word sequential visualisation work, using a word sequential reading series, and visual exercises.
- Fine motor skill development through finger plays and action rhymes as well as crossing under the overhead ladder and swinging on the trapeze.
- Balance and coordination by climbing, swinging, hanging, tumbling and moving along equipment in specific and challenging ways.
- Group work with and without parents.